Fwd: KDE Frameworks Release Cycle

Scott Kitterman kde at kitterman.com
Tue May 20 13:45:36 UTC 2014

On May 20, 2014 8:52:30 AM EDT, Mario Fux <kde-ml at unormal.org> wrote:
>Am Dienstag, 20. Mai 2014, 14.09:18 schrieb Scott Kitterman:
>
>Morning Scott

>on your
>> >
>> > It's not at all the way it's been thought, it is unfortunate if it
>is
>> > perceived that way. Looks like I can't frame and present it
>properly
>> > then.
>> >
>> > Really the intent is to try something different to foster higher
>quality
>> > output and from there move toward fixing the pain points it might
>create.
>>
>> I get that.  The problem is the new thing won't be useful to us.
>
>Ok, fair enough. So what would be your proposal to make it better?
>
>Thanks a lot for a constructive discussion (and that's not ironic!)

This or something very like it was already suggested by someone else, so I'm not claiming this as my idea, but I think a reasonable compromise would be something like:

 - Monthly feature releases as proposed.

 - Select one release every 6 months as long term support (I'd suggest March/September) which has a stable branch.

 - Developers backport "safe" fixes to the stable branch.

 - For complex changes the can't safely be applied to the stable branch, a new branch off of stable is created and the developer issues a call for testing (maybe on this list).  If testing succeeds, it gets merged back to stable.

 - Updates to the stable branch get released monthly at the same time as the monthly feature release.

Something like that.

Scott K