[kde-promo] The name of Applications 4.14 + 1

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Thu Jul 17 19:10:56 UTC 2014

On Thursday, 2014-07-17, 01:19:45, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> Hi all, please let's keep future discussion in kde-promo since i think this
> is more a promo related thing than anything.
>
> A while ago we decided that 4.14 will be the last KDE 4 Applications release
> and that after that we would switch (at least for a while) to application
> releases where applications are either kdelibs4 based or KF5 based (on a
> tarball/repository level).
>
> Now we need a name for that thing.
>
>  * We can't call it 4.15 since the 4.x in there for everybody means based in
> kdelibs4.x
>
>  * We can't call it 5.x since the 5.x in there will make people think all
> apps are KF5.x based

Are these really a concern?

I would go for 5.x as a new epoch of releases.
Each application has its own dependencies, whether these are KDE libraries or
Qt or domain specific ones, each having their own versioning scheme and
current numbers.

Some applications even have their own version numbers, so this will only be
the version for the bundle, no?

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring