The name of Applications 4.14 + 1

Andreas Cord-Landwehr cordlandwehr at kde.org
Thu Jul 17 06:49:47 UTC 2014

On Thursday 17 July 2014 08:13:59 Shantanu Tushar Jha wrote:
> Looking from a user's perspective who has been using KDE for some
time now,
> this sounds confusing. The reason is that Plasma is 5 and then
applications
> will be called 2014.mm, its just too much of a difference. And I'm not just
> guessing, I've answered questions from such users on #kde while trying
not
> to confuse them and it was difficult.

Hi, I must admit that I see it rather the opposite way :)

For me (when looking back at my user-but-not-developer time), I was
always slightly confused why KDE SC release numbers were different to the
application versions. Using a naming scheme that only carries the date of
the release  would solve this.

One could argue that this is the same with KF5/Plasma as they also consist
of several apps/libs with their own version numbers. But from my point of
view, KF5/Plasma are something that is "more consistent" in providing a
foundation for development or a consistent user experience, which an
applications release hardly can do.

If using naming schemes like YYYY.MM, what would be the style for minor
releases? Appending days is probably not a good solution ;) Yet increasing
the month counter would not make it clear if the release is a major or a
minor/bugfix release.

Cheers,
Andreas