Fwd: Re: Fwd: KDE Frameworks Release Cycle

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Wed Apr 30 23:33:29 UTC 2014

On Wed, April 30, 2014 11:28:26 Àlex Fiestas wrote:
> As for the backporting, you could use bugzilla (even via api) to get a list
> of everything that has been fixed, get the SHA and backport it
> automatically, that will ease a lot the process.

Is there any reason we can't do this? Even if it's a good idea to have
downstream packagers do the testing of this we can't really think it's a good
idea for every downstream to duplicate the work of automatically generating a
stable branch and coming up with slightly different KF5 x.y+z releases.

In this scenario of automated backporting we would still want to take
responsibility for tagging at the very least so that the downstreams have a
consistent release to tag against.

> Also ideally, we should break with this tendency of "upstream/downstream"
> and you should become upstream, I would love to see opensuse (and others)
> keeping the release you picked maintained in a branch.

I think this is wishful thinking. I mean, it would be nice to have happen as
well, but they can't all have that much extra manpower lying around with
nothing to do. Work they do to act as a virtual upstream is work they can't do
for their downstream duties, so you're asking them to stop doing something
they're doing now to pick up for kde.org duties.

They could just as fairly ask for us to start handing downstream packaging
chores.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne