Fwd: Re: Fwd: KDE Frameworks Release Cycle

Raymond Wooninck tittiatcoke at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 16:19:57 UTC 2014

On Wednesday 30 April 2014 17:24:42 Àlex Fiestas wrote:
> This is a problem that already exists, for example in bluedevil I have had
> enormous problems because distros would have either an ancient version or a
> git snapshot.

I was already waiting for this story to re-appear again.

> Current situation is:
> Opensuse 13.1 has a BlueZ5 and they don't ship with bluedevil because at the
> time it was not ported. Now I work only on bluedevil2 (which works on
> bluez5) but their bluez version is ancient (5.8 while upstream is 5.18) so
> there are many problems who's root is the BlueZ version.
> Because of this I waste enormous amount of time just saying "sorry this is a
> downstream problem" which is a sucky message to send to users.

It seems that you really have a big issue with openSUSE because of bluedevil.
At the moment that the Gnome team indicated that they didn't had any choice
than to ship Bluez5 (as that the Gnome version only would support Bluez5), I
contacted you with the question if Bluedevil would support Bluez5. You
indicated that you were working on the Fedora schedule and that was the only
schedule that was applicable for you. As that Bluez4 and Bluez5 can not be co-
installed we had to make a choice. Either to ship whatever we had (which was a
git snapshot) or to destroy the Gnome desktop.  Strangely enough at this
moment there is still no other release than the 2.0-RC1 which was released
after the release of Fedora20.

> So with frameworks I think we can compromise with something like "last 5
> releases" and turn off "auto reporting" for anything older than that (this
> is just an example).

So in other words, this means that you are supporting only the last x months.
And after that distributions are again on their own.

Let's be frank here. You already decided on the way that the Frameworks
release cycle will look like and given the responses you are not open to
anything else. So I guess we should just stop the discussion here and we will
see what is going to happen. At least we know where we all stand.