Fwd: KDE Frameworks Release Cycle

Raymond Wooninck tittiatcoke at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 13:08:55 UTC 2014

On Wednesday 30 April 2014 14:39:31 Martin Gräßlin wrote:

> I know that this is a change from how it is right now: but wouldn't it be
> better if those who are interested do these branches? Let's face it whatever
> we do upstream cannot suite all of our downstreams at the same time.

If I take your words literally here, then upstream is not interested in how
the distros is packaging KDE. The only point of interest of upstream is to
deliver  new releases.  This is kind of dumping everything to the distros and
let them sort things out.  I really wonder if this is the release methodology
that Frameworks want to apply ?

> And please remember: this is only about frameworks, not about the
> applications or the workspace.

But the proposed release cycle for Frameworks could set an example for the
others.  If this is the way frameworks will follow, what would stop the others
from doing exactly the same. Maybe it is a little unfair that Frameworks is
getting the tough discussion, but it is better to have everything discussed
now, so that this doesn't have to happen three times