Fwd: Re: Fwd: KDE Frameworks Release Cycle

Scott Kitterman kde at kitterman.com
Wed Apr 30 11:50:02 UTC 2014

On April 30, 2014 6:26:14 AM EDT, "Àlex Fiestas" <afiestas at kde.org> wrote:
>On Wednesday 30 April 2014 12:04:15 Raymond Wooninck wrote:
>> On Wednesday 30 April 2014 11:28:26 Àlex Fiestas wrote:
>> > Having a release every month will allow distributions to package
>fresher
>> > versions of frameworks since we will virtually remove the
>synchronization
>> > problem.
>> > As an example, Opensuse released 13.1 with KDE 4.8.5 iirc, which
>already
>> > had no support from upstream. You had to do that because our 6
>months
>> > release schedule did not synchronize with yours. Having releases
>every
>> > month fixes the problem.
>>
>> Sorry to say, but this is bullshit.  13.1 is the current openSUSE
>distro and
>> was shipped with KDE 4.11.2.  We provided maintenance updates based
>on
>> 4.11.3, 4.11.4 and 4.11.5.  At this moment we are even shipping the
>> kde-workspace releases as maintenance updates.
>I said "iirc" which stands for "if I remember correctly" which
>apparently I
>did not. Sorryf or that.
>
>Here you have the link to the release that released with an almost "out
>of
>support" version:
>https://en.opensuse.org/Archive:Features_12.2#KDE_Plasma_Workspaces
>
>As you can see, the link shows the features of OpenSuse 12.2 featuring
>4.8.4,
>our last 4.8.X release was 4.8.5.
>> Yes, a distribution release cycle might not match with the KDE
>upstream
>> release cycle, but that NEVER put us in the position to ship an older
>> unsupported release.  For every distribution release the openSUSE KDE
>> Community team validates both release cycles and then we set a target
>> version for KDE.  e.g. for the upcoming openSUSE 13.2, the target is
>> ship it with KDE 4.14 as that this is the latest official release of
>KDE at
>> the moment of the openSUSE release.  Whether this will be 4.14.0,
>4.14.1,
>> ...  doesn't make that much difference. After the openSUSE 13.2
>release we
>> will provide maintenance updates based on the 4.14.x releases.
>So, you will not simply update to 4.14.X but instead do cherry-picking
>of the
>bug fixes? Because that would be the same with Frameworks.
>
>> The issue is that non-rolling distributions sets a stabilisation
>period
>> before the official release. This means that the version that will be
>> shipped needs to be in about 2 months before the official release.
>From
>> that point forward only bugfixes are allowed. In the past this was
>achieved
>> for KDE by making sure that at least the Beta version or preferably
>the RC
> [...]

A certain amount of it isn't new.  What's new is upstream abandoning each release as soon as it's out the door.

We push all the maintenance updates too.  After a certain point we are on our own, but with KDE SC there has been a good level of support for from upstream to get things in good shape. Now it's all going to be on us.

Scott K