Fwd: KDE Frameworks Release Cycle

Àlex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Wed Apr 30 09:35:54 UTC 2014

On Tuesday 29 April 2014 19:23:07 Scott Kitterman wrote:
> For non-rolling distros, at some point you have to stop and release. A mix
> of new features and bug fixes aren't going to be allowed in.
>
> We (Kubuntu) have been delivering KDE SC point releases as post-release
> updates to our users for most (maybe all) KDE4 releases. That's over with
> KF5.
>
> We'll, I guess, have to settle for cherry picking fixes and doing our best.

You might not know this but most developers don't do proper testing in the
stable branches because the cost of having master and stable environments and
doing testing in both branches for each fix is too much, we simply don't have
the manpower for that.

History has shown this maaaany times, we have done point releases that were
horrible quality-wise because nobody was testing them. The stable branches
have virtually no users.

I have been told by you (at UDS) and by many others packagers that our point
releases suck, that we introduce huge regressions etc. The above paragraph
explains the reason.

We have to be realistic here, upstream does NOT have the manpower to maintain
more than one release.

So, I honestly think that if we work together you can do a better work cherry-
picking than we can. Also we should develop tools to make your life easier.