Fwd: KDE Frameworks Release Cycle

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sun Apr 27 15:37:46 UTC 2014

On Sunday 27 April 2014 17:14:43 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> i'm just stating that both schedules
> were discussed outside this list

Ah, sorry, now I understand better the purpose of your email.

Well, it is often the case that discussions that normally happen on mailing-
lists, happen differently during live meetings. We were all in a room, you
were there. The same kind of things happens often at akademy.
It doesn't mean future discussions will also happen in real life (given that
many of us don't live in Barcelona ;).

So the list is still a useful place for e.g. you and me to discuss release
scripts, isn't it?
Of course we can also do it in private but then it's harder for others to jump
in one day.

But indeed, I admit that this is the only usefulness I can think of right now.
in the context of KDE Frameworks.

The decision of release schedules for individual "products" (anything != KDE
SC) indeed happens within the team for that product, that seems quite
sensible. It leaves the "applications" release, which isn't a single team, and
which therefore can still be handled here, IMHO.

Another reason for the list becomes, then, the coordination *between* the
releases of the different products. E.g. if we want to avoid releasing on the
same day. Or if we want to ensure that frameworks 5.a is released before
workspace 5.b or apps 5.c, for dependencies reason (but the current plan of "a
KF5 release every month" solves this without a need for much interaction :-).

We'll see ;)

Working on KDE Frameworks 5