PIM is not good. Would adding an extra RC help?

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sat Apr 5 14:40:24 UTC 2014

** Please CC me and r-t list, i'm not subscribed to pim list. **

Hello guys, as I hope you all know this Wednesday we are supposed to tag the
final release for 4.13.

I am sending this email to ask for opinions on the value of adding an extra RC
and delaying the 4.13.0 release for at least a week.

I'm going to explain why I'd like this to happen.

Since the update to 4.13 Beta I've been having lots of CPU and I/O problems in
pim related stuff, most notably akonadi_baloo_indexer,
akonadi_maildir_resource & friends.

On every release i've complained on IRC to be told "oh yes, we just fixed this
thing and will be available on the next release".

But here I am, using 4.13 RC and with even KMail closed
mysqld+akonadiserver+akonadi_maildir_resource are using 100% of one of my CPU
cores and writing/reading around 10MB/s to my slow disks.

I find this unacceptable.

So yesterday I complained again on IRC, and was told again "oh yes, we just
fixed this thing and will be available on the next release".

Just that this is the last bullet we have for fixing stuff, if it turns out
it's like all the previous 3 times i've been told that sentence, we'll end up
with a bad 4.13 pim release, and even it may not linked to it (or it may, i
have no clue), people will blame Baloo, and developers will get sad and will
be less motivated to be on stuff and bugs will be fixed more slowly, you know
that, down spiral of sadness for everyone.

So I am going to ask:
 * Are you guys really sure this problem is fixed with the current git code?
If so please tell me the repos I have to recompile and I will try seeing if it
fixes my problems
 * Do you guys think this is just my problem and I can be just ignored? I can
take that too, if you feel like everybody is using kmail 4.13 without any
problems and i'm just an outlier with problems I am willing to accept that I'm
unlucky and do the release as planned.
 * Do you guys think adding an extra RC would help?

Of course you know where I am if you need me compiling something or giving you
extra information about my setup.

P.S: No, I haven't opened a bug, the reason is that every time i complained
i've been told that it had already been fixed, so it seemed not necessary.

** Please CC me and r-t list, i'm not subscribed to pim list. **