KDE SC 4.11 Release Schedule (bis)

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Mon Mar 4 23:43:53 UTC 2013

A few months ago we were discussing changes regarding 4.11
http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/release-team/2013-January/006708.html

The changes I suggested where
***************
1) Drop Betas to 1
	It doesn't seem "to me" that having extra betas gives us much more quality,
so my suggestion is to drop Beta 2 and move Beta 1 to happen in Beta 2 time
(moving also Hard Freeze) which gives us 2 more weeks for feature
development

2) Drop RCs to 1
	Same thing, it did not feel to me as that it gave us much, drop RC2 and RC1
one week into the future

3) Increase RC time between tag and packaging
	One day between tagging and release is crazy, let's have 5/6 days as we
have for the other releases

4) Don't release if any if the tests are failing in builds.kde.org
	If we have tests, they have to work

5) Introduce an pre-commit check after Feature freeze
	That check would look for "SCHEDULE-CHECK: bugfix" in the commit log and
reject the commit otherwise. This would fix the fact that people seem to be
commiting features and then saying "oh, but i did not read the emails you
send every month saying we are in a feature freeze so i did not know I
couldn't do this", this way at least they would be forced to say their
stuff is a bugfix.
***************

I have gone through all of the mails of the thread and if i did not do a
mistake in the interpretations of the emails, these are the "results"

1) Drop Betas to 1
2) Drop RCs to 1
  Albert Astals Cid - yes
  Christian Mollekopf - yes
  Sebastian Kügler - yes with comments
  Martin Gräßlin - No

3) Increase RC time between tag and packaging
  Albert Astals Cid - yes -> Reword schedule
  Sebastian Kügler - Reword schedule
  Torgny Nyblom - Reword schedule

4) Don't release if any if the tests are failing in builds.kde.org
  Albert Astals Cid - yes
  Michael Palimaka - yes
  Christian Mollekopf - yes
  Martin Gräßlin - yes with comments

5) Introduce an pre-commit check after Feature freeze
  Torgny Nyblom - yes
  Christian Mollekopf - yes with comments
  Albert Astals Cid - unsure

So my reading is that we should do 3 as a reword of the schedule and 4 for
sure.

I'm a bit unsure about 1, 2 and 5. Anyone has extra opinions to share? I'd
like to have a finalized schedule for 4.11 next week.