kde-workspace 4.10.90 ABI breakage in libtaskmanager

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Jul 21 15:20:13 UTC 2013

On Sunday, July 21, 2013 15:50:52 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> We have a release blocker here. If nobody steps up to look into this, I'll
> use git log / git blame and a long pointy stick. :-)

What we have is a change in policy. To recap:

* the libraries in kde-workspace have no ABI or API commitments. none.
* the libraries in kde-workspace have changed ABI and API multiple times in
the past, and this has not always (ever?) been accompanied by changes of the
.so version
* modules outside of kde-workspace should NOT be using these libraries, but
though several do, in particular libkworkspace [1]

there are a number of things that could be done to improve this situation:

* not installing headers; unfortunately there are users of these libraries and
they will likely complain if we stop installing headers. still, this may be
wise to do
* bumping .so versions on every single API/ABI incompatible release (which has
been numerous in the 4.x series); given the lack of ABI/API committment, this
seems a little academic in nature

personally i’d vote for not installing headers and let builds break.

i’m fine with bumping the .so number of the library as well, though i don’t
consider that a compelling solution to the real problem of using libraries
outside of kde-workspace that are specifically not intended to be used outside
of kde-workspace.

[1] there is one weak exception to this: kdeplasma-addons which is for all
intents and purposes a kde-workspaces sub-module

--
Aaron J. Seigo