KDE SC 4.11 Release Schedule

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Fri Jan 18 02:13:05 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 15 January 2013 23.27:53 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El Dimarts, 15 de gener de 2013, a les 16:30:50, Allen Winter va escriure:
>
> I'd like to propose some changes for 4.11, i'd like everyone to comment
>
> 1) Drop Betas to 1
> 	It doesn't seem "to me" that having extra betas gives us much more quality,
> so my suggestion is to drop Beta 2 and move Beta 1 to happen in Beta 2 time
> (moving also Hard Freeze) which gives us 2 more weeks for feature
> development

+1

> 2) Drop RCs to 1
> 	Same thing, it did not feel to me as that it gave us much, drop RC2 and RC1
> one week into the future

+1

> 3) Increase RC time between tag and packaging
> 	One day between tagging and release is crazy, let's have 5/6 days as we
> have for the other releases
>
> 4) Don't release if any if the tests are failing in builds.kde.org
> 	If we have tests, they have to work

I think that would be a very good idea. That would also give some level of
confidence that tests actually work, as some of the tests are not entirely
trivial to run (with dedicated akonadi/nepomuk instance etc.), and if you're
not even sure that they actually work...

> 5) Introduce an pre-commit check after Feature freeze
> 	That check would look for "SCHEDULE-CHECK: bugfix" in the commit log and
> reject the commit otherwise. This would fix the fact that people seem to be
> commiting features and then saying "oh, but i did not read the emails you
> send every month saying we are in a feature freeze so i did not know I
> couldn't do this", this way at least they would be forced to say their
> stuff is a bugfix.

If the feature freeze is short enough (see 1), it might be even nicer if a
corresponding bugreport has to exist, which could help QA people to see what's
happening and track QA efforts. As always, there has to be a way to circumvent
this e.g. by a keyword in the commit message. If it just becomes a no-brainer
to always add a keyword to the commit it probably won't help a lot though.

Cheers,
Christian