KDE SC 4.11 Release Schedule

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Jan 16 13:22:23 UTC 2013

On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 23:27:53 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> I'd like to propose some changes for 4.11, i'd like everyone to comment
>
> 1) Drop Betas to 1
>         It doesn't seem "to me" that having extra betas gives us much more
> quality,  so my suggestion is to drop Beta 2 and move Beta 1 to happen in
> Beta 2 time (moving also Hard Freeze) which gives us 2 more weeks for
> feature development
>
> 2) Drop RCs to 1
>         Same thing, it did not feel to me as that it gave us much, drop RC2
> and RC1  one week into the future

This can only work if the quality effort starts timely (which didn't happen
for 4.10, it only really got into gear for RC1, way too late).

We need closer collaboration between release-team, quality team and other
parties. Only if we're sure that that process works better, we can think of
decreasing the amount of pre-releases.

> 3) Increase RC time between tag and packaging
>         One day between tagging and release is crazy, let's have 5/6 days as
> we  have for the other releases

Why?

It's not one day, but "as soon as tarballs are happy", so flexible instead of
"crazy short". We made this flexible because there's no need to wait if the
tarballs are ready, every day that the tarballs wait in ready state before
they're released decreases the usefulness of testing results. In my opinion,
this is still valid and should be kept.

sebas