Better testing of tagged tars

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sun Feb 10 23:24:51 UTC 2013

El Diumenge, 10 de febrer de 2013, a les 08:15:40, Martin Gräßlin va escriure:
> On Saturday 09 February 2013 23:08:50 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > Of course another option is lifting the requirement for the pre-packages
> > not being publicly available, after all the packages will most likely be
> > the real thing, so if everyone agrees it is better lifting this
> > requirement, we can do it, the fact that *I* personally like it the way
> > it is doesn't mean it's the better way.
>
> With my bugzilla user hat on I'm afraid of that. It would mean we get bug
> reports for an unreleased version. That's bound to create confusion  - we
> would not be able to trust the version field any more. In case of a re-spin
> it will get just worse - different tar balls with the same version
> information.

Another option is just release the tarballs once and don't do any respin at
all. After all we have build.kde.org that builds the stuff so we are kind of
"confident" it builds, if anything fails to build or something big is found we
can add it as a note (+ kde-packager mail) to the info page like we did with
the nepomuk thing for 4.10.0 http://kde.org/info/4.10.0.php

That seems like a "sensible" compromise to me.

 * We release only one tarball
 * Distros still can pick up build or bugfixes (as they will do anyway either
we include them in a respin tarball or not)
 * We can "silently" release the *only one* tarball a few days in advance to
get distros to package for the release day

Comments?

Albert