Proposed schedule for 4.12

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sat Aug 3 18:19:48 UTC 2013

Please let's try to keep this discussion in release-team, I'm just CC'ing k-c-
d because Alex's discussion about changing the release happened there.

At the Release Team BoF at Akademy I was tasked to come up with a proposed
schedule for 4.12 with simplified freezes, since it was agreed so many freezes
confused our contributors.

Here's my attempt http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.12_Release_Schedule

Basically the schedule looks like

30 October (everything except documentation is frozen)
+1 week Beta 1 Tag+Release: November 6
+1 week Beta 2 Tag+Release: November 13
+1 week Beta 3 Tag+Release (with documentation freeze): November 20
+1 week RC Tag+Release: November 27
+2 week Final Tag: December 11
+1 week Final Release: December 18

	This should make it easier to everyone know when to commit something or
not. Exception for documentation that you get 3 weeks more, rationale is that
documentation team works after features are finished so we give them some more
time for the last-minute finished features

 * We do Betas/RC more often
	Every week instead of every 2 weeks, this way we achieve (if distros
deliver) more "interactivity" with bugrepors+fixes since people is always
testing something that is closer to the tip of the code (it happens fairly
usually that someone reports a bug and it was fixed "last week" already,
wasting "user testing" and "bug answering" resources)

Comments?