Release Strategy Proposal

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Apr 27 07:51:19 UTC 2013

On Friday, April 26, 2013 18:36:07 Scott Kitterman wrote:
> It matters less that workspace is frozen if applications aren't, but unlike
> kdelibs, users see the workspace.

yes. which is why we don't want to just ship a 4.12 and 4.13 with virtually no
changes to kde-workspace without an explanation for why development has
suddenly stopped.

we will continue working on bug fixes and other polishing and improvement work,
we just won't be focusing feature work there. i'd rather be straight forward
with our users as to why this is happening.

and if we don't do it now, we'll just prolong the pain to another set of
releases.

> I'm not opposed to the suggestion, only trying to suggest another way to
> look at things.

:)

> Packaging KFS in all its component parts is going to be a lot of work.  If
> they can be incrementally released, that will not only bring in early
> adopters, but also spread out the packaging work over more time (we can
> mostly script updates, but initial packaging is labor intensive).  So I
> have two motivations for suggesting getting some stuff released soon.

tbh, i don't fully know why we're talking about Frameworks 5 and Plasma
Workspaces 2 in the same thread. they are different discussions. KF5 can and
will release when it is ready, and PW2 will also.

kdelibs 4.x has already been feature frozen for a number of releases, so there
is a precedent for this move in kde-workspace. otherwise, they are separate
things.

in future, kde's libraries and workspaces are going to be more and more
independent of each other in terms of release and development planning. they
were tightly coupled in kde3 times, remained so technically in the 4.x series
although we shifted our public messaging, but are decoupled (already) in the
Qt5 world.

--
Aaron J. Seigo