Release Strategy Proposal

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Apr 26 22:27:49 UTC 2013

On Friday, April 26, 2013 18:15:03 Scott Kitterman wrote:
> impression is that your goal is to get more people working on KFS/PW2 and
> your chosen method to achieve it is by enforcing a stop on feature work in
> KDE4 platform/workspace.

this isn't our goal. our goal is to allow those of us currently working on
workspaces to focus feature development where it already is: the Qt5 / KF5
ports of Plasma (you can see the work in the plasma-framework repository) and
kde-workspace.

we simply can't do both 4.x and 5.x feature development, for both technical
and man-power reasons. we also don't want to let the 4.x releases of kde-
workspace happen without any visible changes (have fun writing those release
notes :) without some communication behind it, and we also understand there is
a desire from at least some of our downstreams to have a long-term release
they can focus on. so this represents a potential win-win situation in which
we can communicate our shift of focus while also delivering a long-term
release.

at the same time, we don't want to put pressure on application developers to
shift focus away from 4.x. until KF5 is ready, there is no reason to do this.

we feel that stating clearly that workspaces is feature frozen covers all the
above concerns.

if this also causes other people to join our efforts .. that would be a bonus.
it is not the primary goal, however.

> Avoiding a long period of feature freeze between with KDE4
> platform/workspace development stops and when KFS/PW2 is usable and
> available is an important part of the story.

does it matter if the applications keep releasing? has anyone noticed this is
already the case for a year in kdelibs?

--
Aaron J. Seigo