Release Strategy Proposal

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Apr 26 13:58:01 UTC 2013

On Friday, April 26, 2013 08:44:35 Rex Dieter wrote:
> With my packager-hat on, this raises some concern about future possible
> version assumptions being broken (ie, packaging that assumes constant
> versioning across all kde core packages).  That's something that will
> have to be dealt with sooner or later (with frameworks5) anyway, so
> maybe it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Yeah, something we have to figure out. My thinking (and I'm undecided on which
way to go there):

- If we only increase version numbers for the things that actually get feature
  updates, we might create confusion as to what fits together

- If we keep all numbers consistent (basically our current release policy --
all get the same number), people might misunderstand, distros might not dare
upgrading to, for example 4.12 because they want to ship long-term-maintained
code.

Input, especially from distros is most welcome to fledge this out futher.

sebas