polkit-kde-kcmmodules editing /usr

Robby Workman rworkman at slackware.com
Fri Oct 26 14:00:13 UTC 2012

On Fri, 26 Oct 2012, Sebastian Kügler wrote:

> On Thursday, October 25, 2012 14:38:01 Robby Workman wrote:
>>>
>>> We (Fedora) neither.

>>> In Fedora, /usr/share/config/kdm is a symlink to /etc/kde/kdm.
>>
>> Ditto for Slackware.
>
> The obvious question here is: If everybody changes it, why do we ship it that
> way?

Good question, and it makes me wonder why we've always just "worked around"
it instead of sending patches to do it correctly.  I'm not in a position to
look farther into that right now, so I'll just say that it would seem better
for KDE stuff to use /usr/share/config/$whatever/ for packaged defaults
(IOW, *exactly* what you currently do) with support for overriding those
defaults in $sysconfdir/kde/$whatever/

-RW