[RFC] Bugzilla "Feature" Severity

Jeroen van Meeuwen vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Wed Oct 24 20:08:17 UTC 2012

On Wednesday, October 24, 2012 03:35:32 PM Allen Winter wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 October 2012 06:47:55 PM Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> > On Wednesday, October 24, 2012 01:08:44 PM Allen Winter wrote:
> > > Jeroen,
> > >
> > > This issue is popping-up again.
> > > Any update?
> >
> > Pfew, I would love to just be able to make the changes as I see fit and
> > disclose the documentation of how to work with it.
> >
> > Other than that, I'm afraid I'm so much swamped with $dayjob making the
> > proposal for consideration including the fall-out on the discussion, let
> > alone applying any such actual change is going to be prohibiting from
> > fulfilling my professional responsbilities.
> >
> > I was going to physically meet with some of the KDAB guys to discuss how,
> > at the very least, I could change the way of things in the PIM-related
> > sphere.
> >
> > Do you have any suggestions?
>
> I don't.
>
> <thinking out loud>
> What can we implement now that helps and doesn't hurt?

Both "wishlist" and this "feature" severity indicate a category of tickets
that are "enhancements" - as opposed to "bugs".

Enhancements are typically scheduled for inclusion with the next major or
minor release (depending on their severity) and could maybe be included with
the next teeny (trivial severity).

The list of severities today is so heavily modified, it indicates not just
ticket type ("wishlist" for "enhancement", and "task") it also indicates the
type of bug ("crash").

Furthermore, the priority field in the importance seems to have been
completely altered.

> Could we have a second bugzilla instance  for developers only?
> Or trac? or Jira? or mantis? or fogbugz or??
>
> Why is this so hard?

It's hard to make the change within a large developer community, especially on
something that is as widely used as Bugzilla within the KDE project.

> Mainly I would like a place for developers to do real planning.
>
> Suppose we wanted to go agile in kdepim. where could we do that?
> Jira has support for agile planning, I know.
>
> Suppose we simply wanted to put the feature plan on a real planning tool?
> I'm sure any of the tools mentioned above could help with that.

And so can Bugzilla, but not in it's current state.

> We seem to be in agreement that repurposing the current bugzilla instance
> isn't a good solution

One could argue that pushing everything out to a different bugzilla, set up
with purpose and the appropriate knowledge, could perhaps be a good starting
point for what you seek to employ for KDE PIM - the user issue reports can
stay in the current Bugzilla.

Once this new Bugzilla is used, and people are satisfied, things are
integrated into a Wiki for overviews, maintenance is regularly executed and
reports can be sent (weekly), we might just gather enough cloud to make the
changes necessary for the current Bugzilla to become more usable.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--
Systems Architect, Kolab Systems AG