Feature Freeze and Review Board

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Fri Oct 19 08:47:30 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I was wondering about the relation of feature freeze and Review Board.
Right now we have quite some open review request for e.g. KWin or also
Plasma. To me everything what is currently open as a review request is a
"planned" feature.

Now given our feature freeze policy none of these requests may be
merged after the soft freeze if they are not also listed in the planned
feature wiki page.

This means I have now to tell everyone to edit the wiki if they want to
get the feature in. I consider editing MediaWiki tables as a PITA and I
consider manual work for something which already is in a computer system
as quite stupid and I think the time is better spent on the code then on
editing the Wiki document.

Therefore I would like to request the following change in our release
schedule:
"Trunk is frozen for feature commits that are not listed in the planned
feature document."
"Trunk is frozen for feature commits that are not listed in the planned
feature document or opened as a review request prior to the feature
freeze."

Opinions?

And when we are at it: could we change "trunk" to whatever is better
fitting?

Kind Regards
Martin Gräßlin