kdegraphicslibs (Was: libkdcraw api compatibility?)

Kåre Särs kare.sars at iki.fi
Thu Nov 22 08:48:25 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 21 November 2012 20:34:07 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El Dimecres, 21 de novembre de 2012, a les 14:25:22, Allen Winter va
escriure:
> > On Wednesday 21 November 2012 07:33:28 PM Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > > El Dimecres, 21 de novembre de 2012, a les 11:38:09, Allen Winter va
>
> escriure:
> > >
> > > Why? The people developing those libraries don't want to maintain the
> > > ABI/API of these libs during all the life of 4.x
> >
> > We have (had) a policy that no application-module-library should used
> > by applications outside that module.
>
> Did we? Then why did we install libkdegames headers back then?
>
> And calligra uses marble libs, an calligra uses okular libs, not sure this
> policy really makes much sense to be honest.
>
> > i.e we can't have kphotoalbum dependent on libkdcraw from kdegraphics
>
> Why not? What you are suggesting is:
>  a) Move libkdcraw out of the SC since their developers have stated clearly
> they don't want to maintain BC
>  b) Move kphotoalbum to the SC so it can use libkdcraw
>  c) Make kphotoalbum reimplement libkdcraw functionality
>
> > I think this is still a good policy.
>
> I don't think so, that's like killing the library, why would you develop a
> library inside a KDE repo if only people on the same repo can use it?
>
> > But we know that digikam, kphotoalbum, etc. does rely on libs from
> > kdegraphics.
> >
> > If we put such libs in a new module called kdegraphicslibs and enforce the
> > ABI/API restrictions there, then we can eliminate these problems in the
> > future.
>
> Sure, that would be ideal, but do the developers of these libraries want to
> enforce that ABI/API restrictions? From my recollection the answer is no.
>
> Maybe we should ask again :-)
>
> kdegraphicslibs guys, are you here?

I'm the maintainer of libksane in kdegraphics and I have been under the
impression that BC for all 4.x releases has _not_ been a requirement, as long
as the SO versions are handled properly.

To my understanding the libraries used by Digikam and the kipi-plugins are
evolving quite fast and the development could be hampered by such a
requirement.

I think that the individual libraries in kdegraphics could state the BC policy
they follow. Libksane has not changed much the last couple of years and has
been BC, but it has never been a promise from my side ;)

Regards,
  Kåre