adding kwebkitpart to KDE SC

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri May 4 22:38:04 UTC 2012

On Thursday 29 March 2012 18:33:46 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El Dijous, 29 de març de 2012, a les 12:10:06, David Faure va escriure:
> > On Wednesday 28 March 2012 19:38:25 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > > The technical point of view is not enough to guarantee something being
> > > part
> > > of  the KDE SC, otherwise i could argue the same thing (don't want to
> > > have
> > > ugly KDE_VERSION around) for some obscure program only I would use.
> >
> > Hmm? This is about a crucial component for konqueror, not about some
> > obscure program.
>
> Why did it went to extragear if it was a crucial component?

Things evolve over time. kwebkitpart works much better than it used to, and on
the other hand, khtml isn't catching up much with today's web. Do you really
want to have a full khtml vs kwebkitpart debate here, or can we just go on
with "treating both equally, shipping both and letting users choose"?

Dirk wrote:
> The scripts are as usual in /trunk/kde-common/release,
> and "dirk reads this" :-)

Hehe. So all we need to do is ensure kwebkitpart has a KDE/4.8 branch and then
add it to modules.git, right? Well at this point it might be a bit late for
adding to 4.8.4 all of sudden, so maybe we want to do this for 4.9 -- but then
it means someone needs to remember to add it to modules.git at the exact right
moment (after the last 4.8.x release and before the first 4.9.0 alpha)?