ALERT: KDElibs (at least) 4.8.4 is actually 4.8.80+

Andreas K. Huettel dilfridge at gentoo.org
Sat Jun 9 11:40:29 UTC 2012

Am Samstag 09 Juni 2012, 12:57:16 schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:

> now, i really don't understand the use of words like stupid and dumb.

I'll leave the fist fighting to others, and would like to apologize for my
choice of words.

I still dont think the decision to freeze master was a good or necessary one.
It's perfectly reasonable to say "hey let's only do bugfix/minimal changes to
*any* kdelibs branch for now, even if for everyone's convenience we keep the
usual branch structure".

That would be a practical decision, not a political one.

In the worst case you'll end up with two identical, redundant branches.

In the best case a few things (like the mentioned udisks2 support) could creep
into master, as backport from the frameworks. (Gentoo would like to drop
udisks too in favour of udisks2, or so I'm told from its maintainer. Adding
the redhat patch has been on my todo list for a couple of weeks already.)

Cheers,
Andreas

--

Andreas K. Huettel