nepomuk-core needs unreleased Soprano

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Jun 4 09:18:08 UTC 2012

On Sunday, June 3, 2012 11:47:02 Harry Miller wrote:
> > The number of developers who need to be hit by a bus for the
> > project to be
> > destroyed. 1 means there's a single point of failure (you),
> > i.e., whenever you
> > aren't available for whatever reason (such as the past few
> > days), everything
> > grinds to a halt.
>
> As if there isn't enough bickering and finger pointing already. There is
> plenty of blame to go around. It would be great if people would start
> accepting responsibility for their actions rather than trying to scapegoat
> one person.

Henry, I believe you misunderstood what was being said. This has nothing to do
with blame or responsibility, but rather ensuring that there are enough people
with the knowledge and the mandate (e.g. feel like and do have the permission)
to be able to do important core tasks like say "this is ready for release",
roll releases if necessary, etc, etc.

When there is just one person who manages a project and there are no other
people who are able to step in and pick up the slack, then that project is
said to have a "bus number of 1". It's just another way of stating that there
is a procedural bottleneck caused by not having enough people ready and able
to do the necessary work.

It's not a good situation because any one of us may become unavailable for any
number of reasons, and so having a back-up person is both sensible and
responsible. It turns out that often people are not aware that there is no
back-up person and they unintentionally become a bottleneck. Usually simply
observing that there is a "bus number of 1" is all that's needed to improve
the situation: usually people step up and increase the bus number and share
the core responsiblities.

In other words, it is precisely about accepting responsibility for one's roll
within our projects, and has zero to do with scapegoating, blame, etc. (I
think there's a hint of irony in your message as a result :)

Anyways, I hope that helps to explain what was meant by my original statement.

--
Aaron J. Seigo