Why are 4.8.80 packages already out in the wild?

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Mon Jun 4 08:52:13 UTC 2012

On Sunday, June 03, 2012 20:46:56 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> I don't want to blame anyone (that's why I did not name the distros).

Well, it's a specific distro pushing out packages too early to its users (and
in this case, a group that doesn't understand that these are not 4.8.80
packages until we announce them).

Which distro did you experience this with? I can talk to them to be a bit more
patient.

The issue is that we need to give distros some time to build packages, and to
give those packages a first run to rule out packaging problems as much as
possible. Packages may not be announced though, and should only be handed out
to people who understand the pre-releases-ness of the packages.

>From the rest of the emails, I understand that it's Arch packages. In my
opinion, the ball lies with Arch here, and we should ask if they can make it
clear to their users what that repo is for, in which they put the packages:
Until we announce it, it's not more than a test build of a random snapshot.
--
sebas