RFC: Conditions of early access to unreleased

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sun Jun 3 22:52:47 UTC 2012

My proposal:

******************************

The KDE Release Team recognizes the importance of making a source release
together with binary packages of various distributions since this greatly
increases the impact of a given release.

To this effect we give the privilege of early access to unreleased tarballs to
select packagers of distributions

In contrast to the privilege of early access to unreleased tarballs we ask the
packagers to follow this rules:
 * Do not make the packages available to your users (even in development
branches) before the official tarballs are announced
 * Report any compilation error you might find as soon as possible to the
release team mailing list
 * Report any missing package or unpackaged dependency as soon as possible to
the release team mailing list

Reiterated failure to comply with this guidelines might end up in revocation
of your special access to unreleased tarballs.

******************************

I know the first point might be tricky for some distributions, I'm sincerely
interested in knowing the opinion of the release team about packages of
unreleased tarballs being available to the greater public before we make them
public.

I think that there are good and bad outcomes of that.

Good:
 * We get some *real* early testers out there and find if something fatal is
happening

Bad:
 * We lose some of the storm since we are "late" to our own release :D

So it turns I'm undecided and don't know if we should un-tighthen the first
point to something like
 * Do not make the packages available to your users (in stable or
automatically suggested updates to stable versions) before the official
tarballs are announced

Comments?