Release Script (KF5)

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Jul 18 13:05:28 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Wednesday, July 18, 2012 13:25:55 info at michael-jansen.biz wrote:
> >> This will hurt the plasma mobile effort.
> >
> > FWIW, that assumption is wrong: Having version numbers be in line
> > with each
> > other makes our work easier, because we can just check if all
> > packages are at
> > least at version X.Y.Z and don't need special knowledge about which
> > packages
> > did indeed have commits in a certain period.
> >
> > That's no different from normal distribution.
>
> So you consider it less work to repackage 60 modules instead of 12?
>
> You consider it less strain on your servers and users bandwidth to send
> them 60 repackaged modules instead of 12?
>
> Really?

Yes. Especially, if the chance is really low that a package did not change at
all. I've explained our *current* version numbering so many times that an even
more complex one is just quadrupling the trouble, making it much more likely
to have outdated packages and not notice them.

A common version number provides great value.

sebas