Release Team BoF Summary

Aurélien Gâteau agateau at kde.org
Tue Jul 17 12:11:53 UTC 2012

Le lundi 16 juillet 2012 11:47:40 info at michael-jansen.biz a écrit :
> Am 2012-07-16 10:14, schrieb Aurélien Gâteau:
> > Le dimanche 15 juillet 2012 16:39:54 Michael Jansen a écrit :
> >> Let us postpone this until i have the script ready. I think the
> >> discussion
> >> is needed but currently a bit difficult because it is all really
> >> theoritcal
> >> now.
> >
> > It is all very theoritical because people took a simple and pragmatic
> > proposal
> > (do not change any macro, just use different values: 7x for alpha, 8x
> > for beta
> > and 9x for rc) and overengineered it.
> >
> > I am not sure what we are trying to solve there, it feels like an
> > overkill.
>
> I do not like maskerading pre releases as stable version. Version
> numbers have a
> clear semantic meaning. And KDE currently breaks that.

I see what you mean, but this sounds like an academic problem. I never met
someone who confused our unstable version numbers with stable versions. Of
course, you may have different experiences.

> The other why.
>
> If i succeed in scripting the complete release process i would like to
> setup weekly
> snapshots. Because i consider them the "continuus integration" of the
> release
> process.
>
> Please tell me how those fit into the current scheme and we consider
> it.

I don't see how to avoid adding a forth component to the version number to
achieve this. I would imagine something like 4.x.y.yyyymmdd. So a snapshot of
4.9.0rc2 done this week would be 4.8.92.20120716.
To ensure one knows which code the snapshot refers to, either repositories
would have to be tagged with the snapshot version number, or we would have to
append the first 8 chars of the commit-id to the (already quite long) version
number.

Aurélien