Release Team BoF Summary

Sune Vuorela nospam at vuorela.dk
Sun Jul 15 14:56:17 UTC 2012

On 2012-07-15, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto <jmbsvicetto at gentoo.org> wrote:
> So, can you please use "-" and not "~". The "-" character has a
> special meaning on versions for us. The "~" character can cause issues
> for us, as we use it when specifying dependencies on other packages as
> a "fuzzy version dependency".

So. Bottom line here is that if '-' (dash) is used to separate version
from 'prerelease string', the debian and ubuntu and modern rpm land will
have to fudge the versions. if '~' (tilde) is used, then gentoo will
have to fudge the versions. Old rpm land will probably have to fudge the
version in both cases.

/Sune