Release Team BoF Summary

Rolf Eike Beer eike at sf-mail.de
Sat Jul 14 23:00:28 UTC 2012

Am Samstag 14 Juli 2012, 23:47:29 schrieb David Faure:
> On Saturday 14 July 2012 12:29:57 Michael Jansen wrote:
> > Why not marking an alpha, beta and rc as what it is and every other
> > project
> > out there already does? Why masking is as a stable release?
> >
> > 4.N.1~alpha1
> > 4.N.1~alpha2
> > 4.N.1~beta1
> > 4.N.1~beta2
> > 4.N.1~rc
> > 4.N.1
>
> This is fine in external communication and bugzilla, but we still need a
> value for KDE_VERSION_MAJOR, KDE_VERSION_MINOR and KDE_VERSION_RELEASE (see
> kdeversion.h[.cmake] in kdelibs).
> This is necessary in order to be able to write
> #if KDE_IS_VERSION(4, 9, 82).

I thought about this, too. But then I wondered: do we really need this? Why
would we check anywhere if this is e.g. beta2? What if all versions since
beta1 (alpha1? rc1?) internally say they are 4.10.0 as number (for bugzilla
they should indeed use their string version, but that's another story). Who
would need to distuinguish between a rc1 and a final release component (beyond
bugzilla)? Since the API must be the same anyway, and working around certain
behaviour of a rc1 compared to something else is bogus also, no?

Eike