Release Script

Heinz Wiesinger HMWiesinger at liwjatan.at
Fri Jul 6 08:19:04 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 27 June 2012 17:21:28 Michael Jansen wrote:

> > > No idea about frameworks. David? Kevin?
> >
> > This is partly still under discussion.
> >
> > However the currently implemented solution is that each framework has a
> > versions number, but that version number can be upgraded in all frameworks
> > at the same time, using a script.
> >
> > A future framework on top of all others, could provide the version number
> > for all apps, much like the current kdeversion.h. Basically it would be
> > the
> > "SC" number, and not the version number of the libs themselves, as is
> > currently the case.
>
> But that SC number would be a lie. Because you only assume all modules are
> installed in the versions that were release as SC X.Y . You have no idea if
> the user or distro uses older or newer versions for some libraries, modules
> or apps. So that number has no information value. Perhaps some marketing
> value. But in bug reports it is useless.
>
> Do we release kdelibs as ONE package. Or do we plan to release many small
> packages?
>
> If each library gets released standalone. What if whe make the kde sc
> release 4.10.7. I assume only 70% of all libraries got commits since 4.10.6
> because stuff is pretty stable by now (7th update). Do we still release ALL
> libs or only those that got changed? Does this make a difference for our
> packagers? Does it make it more difficult or more easy? So is that a
> feature we want or not?
>
> The same naturally goes for stuff like kdeedu now that it split. What if
> some application got no commits since the last minor release. Make a
> release anyway or skip it? For major releases i guess making a package
> anyway makes sense. Or not?

Releasing all parts of the SC with the same version numbers at the same time
delivers a very clear implied message: "All of these parts are meant to work
well together" and "This is the configuration we support".

Different version numbers if all of the SC is still released together at the
same time would still work here, although the "This belongs together" message
is already a bit weaker.

If you decide to split up the SC into separate smaller releases, you lose or
weaken (depending on how you split) that implied message and you need to
provide this information in another way, which  means more work for the
developers to document dependencies and more work for  packagers to make sure
that everything indeed is as it is supposed to be.

There is also a difference if you split into frameworks, workspace and apps, or
if you release every single tarball on its own schedule. The first is still
well managable for both developers and packagers with regards to dependency
documentation. The latter will just result in a big mess. Gnome and X are
prime examples that this does not work.

Grs,
Heinz