Release Script

Andreas K. Huettel dilfridge at gentoo.org
Thu Jul 5 19:23:16 UTC 2012

Am Mittwoch 27 Juni 2012, 17:39:03 schrieb Michael Jansen:
> On Monday, June 25, 2012 01:16:05 AM Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > That works fine for me, though unfortunately we usually have to
> > re-package some tarballs due to fixes that are needed into the release.
> > How do you fit this particularity into this way of working?
>
> With my config manager head on i say "NEVER rerelease a version". Which in
> our case includes everything that has been downloaded/used by anone not
> you (You=Packager).

Very strong agreement.

If you want to re-release something, add an extra .x to the version number.

> > > I see one problem. As you can see the changed version information is
> > > only committed AFTER build and test in this setup. That can take quite
> > > some time. In a project as big as ours that opens the possibility that
> > > during that time some else commits a change. Which makes it impossible
> > > for the script to commits its change.
> > >
> > > 1. Solution: Branch. The Script could create a branch for the release.
> >
> > Creating a branch for release would also probably "fix" the problem i
> > spoke in the previous paragraph

* Create a branch.
* Build and test that branch.
* Tag the release on that branch.
* Merge the branch back into master / whatever it comes from.

> I am btw. wondering that noone objected yet to this. I seem to remember
> someone was unhappy about dirk branching some 4.8.x release. I don't
> remember where and why.

Dunno. It was just funny, because, functionality-wise, master became 4.8 and
4.8 became 4.8.X.

> > > 2. Solution: Lock the repo (A no go in my opinion)
> >
> > Yeah, locking kills babies

Ack.

Not that it affects me, but the KDE developers will probably object to
locking, with good reason.

--

Andreas K. Huettel
Gentoo Linux developer