KDE 4.8.5 planning

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Thu Jul 5 16:44:12 UTC 2012

On 07/05/2012 11:31 AM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Thursday, July 05, 2012 05:01:58 PM Rolf Eike Beer wrote:
>> Am 05.07.2012 13:00, schrieb Dirk Mueller:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I guess with all the kdelibs mess we should redo another 4.8.5
>>> release. Does
>>> anyone have suggestions for a release plan?
>>>
>>> I would like to do tagging either tomorrow morning or in the last
>>> July week,
>>> as I'm on vacation in between.
>>>
>>> Any preference?
>>
>> Will that be a "normal" release (i.e. full KDE SC) or just kdelibs?
>
> This might be a nice time to try only releasing the packages that have
> changes.

I think I'd have to object to that in this case.  if you want to try
experimenting in some later major release, fine, but not in a minor
point release.

This comes mostly with my fedora packager hat on, where we parse the
output of:
kde4-config --version
to describe the kde development platform version used and use that for a
versioned minimal dependency on kde-runtime (or kdelibs as appropriate).
  Updating just kdelibs without kde-runtime too, would break our
(apparently naive) assumption.

-- rex