Release Script

Michael Jansen info at michael-jansen.biz
Tue Jul 3 17:14:40 UTC 2012

> > The last step is done in maven because the support something called
> > snapshot release which means their version looks like
> > 4.7.1-20120621_151400. I think it could make sense to support that
> > too. Stuff build from master or branch would be easily
> > distuinguishable from really released stuff.
>
> If you're suggesting to use <version>-<commit tag>.tar.xz tarballs,
> then please forget that. That may not affect binary distributions, but
> it affects source distributions.
> Source distributions really appreciate consistent and *predictable*
> names and URLs.

I can not see where you got the impression that i would like to do that for
major, minor or patch release. Standard KDE releases will always have real
version numbers like today,

If you have a problem with us setting up weekly snapshots in that format, then
you may have a point because i am thinking about that use case. Afaik some
distros provide weekly snapshots straight from our branches. If our release
system is fully scripted we could make weekly snapshot releases and ask them
to use those. They might look like that. Or perhaps have the git or subversion
number somewhere in the name.

IF we really do that.

I think we did it for a time. At least i remember some " a new snow storm, a
new snapshot" commits by dirk. But no idea how they got released/packaged.

Mike