Release Candidate 2 and regressions

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Mon Jan 2 11:26:23 UTC 2012

Hi,

[I'm on the list, not To:ing me makes my filters' lives easier]

On Monday, January 02, 2012 12:19:45 Martin Koller wrote:
> > That's honestly too much for the release team. This has to be taken up
> > within  the teams. The release team doesn't take responsibility for code
> > quality, the maintainers do. If they don't, their software will look
> > bad. Nothing the release team can really do about it.
>
> I understand. So probably what is missing then is a group of decision
> takers who simply can say "yes, we are ready to release" or "no release,
> there are too many glitches, we should not simply release because we
> scheduled a release"

The release team does take the final decision, that's not the issue. We don't
want to delay releases, we want to make sure it's of sufficient quality.
What's really needed is someone who takes care of QA, and possibly a bit
before we start tagging release candidates.

It's not a decision problem, it's a problem of people taking responsibility
for their bugs, regressions, and people helping in fixing them.

sebas