Exception for Dolphin - KFileMetadataWidget

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sun Dec 23 16:22:01 UTC 2012

On Sunday 23 December 2012 14:24:58 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> Hi Vishesh,
> On Saturday, December 22, 2012 15:26:10 Vishesh Handa wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Frank Reininghaus
> > <frank78ac at googlemail.com> wrote: If many people thought that the benefits
> > of the new widget outweigh the risks, I would say "let's merge it" - I
> > don't want to be blamed by future users of KDE 4.10 for holding back
> > useful
> > things if there is no good reason for it. But at the moment, it seems that
> > there are more people who are worried about the risks, so I feel that it
> > should
> > better wait until KDE 4.11.
> > 
> > From what I have noticed most people just don't respond, and that is taken
> > as a sign of acceptance. So one cannot really infer that there are more
> > people who are worried about the risks. Just that 2 people who disagree
> > have raised their voice.
> > 
> > Is there something I can do to reduce these risks?
> > 
> > From what I see there are 3 use cases -
> > 
> > 1. Using it when Nepomuk enabled
> > 2.1. Using it when Nepomuk is disabled
> > 2.2. Using it when Nepomuk is enabled but the file has no meta-data
> > 
> > So, the concern of using the widget in unknown ways doesn't really come
> > into play.
> > 
> > I hope I'm not being rude. I just really really want to get this widget
> > into 4.10. Otherwise I'm going to have to spend 2-3 days (maybe even
> > more?) fixing up the old deprecated Nepomuk code and the
> > KFileMetadataWidget. I rather focus on other things.
> Understandable, and in principle I agree. The user in me even wants this to
> go in, but my experience as release manager says otherwise. We're more than
> a month past feature freeze, and we have those freezes for a good reason:
> stability, being able to test code and iterate a few times over them.
> Also, we have been bitten by this kind of last minute changes in the past,
> repeatedly, and especially by Nepomuk (though not exclusively).
> That's why I'm so hesitant about this change. Ultimately, I'd leave the
> decision to Frank, but seeing he's also not convinced, I think we should
> just postpone this merge to 4.11, as sour as this might be.
Even if my opinion doesn't really matter here, I want to say that I agree with 
sebas. You basically remove all the chances for user testing as it's too late 
in the cycle and given how late it is, it is not even tested by kde-developers 
running master and Christmas and New Year doesn't make it better.

Personally I'm extremely careful with any changes after the feature freeze and 
after RC I would not allow any code to enter which even has the slightest 
chance for regressions if it would affect the user experience (e.g. the OpenGL 
compositor). And nepomuk is in that regard similarly important as KWin. If it 
breaks KDE gets really bad press and disappointed users. Don't risk it. Go 
with the old code even if it has known issues.

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 198 bytes
Desc: This is a digitally signed message part.
URL: <http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/release-team/attachments/20121223/97a514f6/attachment.sig>

More information about the release-team mailing list