Exception for Dolphin - KFileMetadataWidget

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Sun Dec 23 13:24:58 UTC 2012

Hi Vishesh,

On Saturday, December 22, 2012 15:26:10 Vishesh Handa wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Frank Reininghaus
> <frank78ac at googlemail.com> wrote: If many people thought that the benefits
> of the new widget outweigh the risks, I would say "let's merge it" - I
> don't want to be blamed by future users of KDE 4.10 for holding back useful
> things if there is no good reason for it. But at the moment, it seems that
> there are more people who are worried about the risks, so I feel that it
> should
> better wait until KDE 4.11.
> From what I have noticed most people just don't respond, and that is taken
> as a sign of acceptance. So one cannot really infer that there are more
> people who are worried about the risks. Just that 2 people who disagree
> have raised their voice.
> Is there something I can do to reduce these risks?
> From what I see there are 3 use cases -
> 1. Using it when Nepomuk enabled
> 2.1. Using it when Nepomuk is disabled
> 2.2. Using it when Nepomuk is enabled but the file has no meta-data
> So, the concern of using the widget in unknown ways doesn't really come into
> play.
> I hope I'm not being rude. I just really really want to get this widget into
> 4.10. Otherwise I'm going to have to spend 2-3 days (maybe even more?)
> fixing up the old deprecated Nepomuk code and the KFileMetadataWidget. I
> rather focus on other things.

Understandable, and in principle I agree. The user in me even wants this to go 
in, but my experience as release manager says otherwise. We're more than a 
month past feature freeze, and we have those freezes for a good reason: 
stability, being able to test code and iterate a few times over them.

Also, we have been bitten by this kind of last minute changes in the past, 
repeatedly, and especially by Nepomuk (though not exclusively).

That's why I'm so hesitant about this change. Ultimately, I'd leave the 
decision to Frank, but seeing he's also not convinced, I think we should just 
postpone this merge to 4.11, as sour as this might be.


http://www.kde.org | http://vizZzion.org | GPG Key ID: 9119 0EF9

More information about the release-team mailing list