KDE 4.7.2 (try#1) uploaded

Nicolas Alvarez nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 18:24:57 UTC 2011

Andreas Pakulat wrote:

> On 08.10.11 01:10:50, Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
>> Andras Mantia wrote:

>> > What does this mean, no 4.7.2 tag was created in git?
>> > I don't see anything like that with "git tag" in kdepim and would like
>> > to check if some bugfix made into 4.7.2 or not.
>> > dc60f1116dad12fbdd443a964d58eec7e5ed09fc (kdepim-runtime)
>> > 84edd007f903763b61296a84768e2f4c9f98113a (kdepimlibs)
>>
>> Tags are created *after* the tarballs. If packagers find problems in a
>> non-final tarball, Dirk can release a new one, but tags are immutable,
>> so they should be created only once we're sure everything is okay.
>
> Sorry thats wrong:
>
> git tag -a 4.7.2
> <edit source file>
> git commit -a -m "Blah"
> git tag -f -a 4.7.2
>
> works just fine and you can push the result without needing the
> force-parameter as long as the commit the tag points to now is a
> successor of the one it pointed to before.

As far as I know, that's not the case for annotated tags. If a tag points at
a commit A, it can be updated to commit B if A is an ancestor of B. But if
the tag points at an annotated tag object which in turn points at commit A,
you can't update it at all. There is nothing that can be a successor of the
tag object.

--
Nicolas