Fwd: Requesting freeze exception for JtG

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Sun Nov 27 14:03:30 UTC 2011

On Sunday, November 27, 2011 01:03:34 Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 12:38 AM, Thomas Zander <zander at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Saturday 26 November 2011 14.09.21 Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> >> A little flexibility, a little actual testing of the patch
> >> would be much more useful than stubbornly maintaining that
> >> rules are rules.
> >
> > For those that missed it; the actual testing has been done and reported
> > on kde-core-devel. (it has the same topic as this thread)
>
> This is my last mail on this.
>
> No, no testing has been shown and I'd say no testing has even been
> performed. Sebas even admitted to that in another mailing list.

Yes, I've not applied, compiled or run the patch. I can do it if it _really_
makes you feel better, though I prefer spending my time otherwise. In fact, I
fully trust you that the patch applies and builds fine, and that my testing is
no better than yours.

That's not my issue however. Judging from reading it, your explanation and the
screenshots, I think it's too intrusive (not really technically risky, but
intrusive UI-wise -- we're adding a menu option to *all* KDE applications,
more or less, and I think it goes in the wrong place for the wrong reaons).

Putting the dialog into the About dialog solves this for me and makes the
patch acceptable because then it's just an update of the support KDE pointers,
not an entirely new piece of UI, which clutters the menu without clear value
for the user.

> > The flexibility has been shown by various people; to quote sebas as one
> > example;
> >  «I personally don't mind a non-intrusive patch (one that just changes
> > the text in there, for example), if the translation and docs team is OK
> > with that. This does not constitute a new feature to me.»
>
> That is not flexibility. The result would be useless, so no, that
> "solution" is unacceptable to me. I am not going to make a commit that
> modifies a hidden text. Feel free to do it yourself, I already got the
> freeze exception from kde-i18n-doc.

I think it would be far from useless. If that solution is unacceptable to you,
we end up with no change at all, and I really wonder how that is better for
you than at least the JtG pointers in the About dialog. I fear that this all-
or-nothing attitude doesn't reall help anybody, doesn't relax the situation,
or is helpful at all to the purpose of your patch (promote the join the game
campaign).

sebas