Fwd: Requesting freeze exception for JtG

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Fri Nov 25 08:09:59 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 23 November 2011 18.25.23 Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 4:21 PM, Thomas Zander <zander at kde.org> wrote:
> > I too think that a much less invasive patch has to be the first step to
> > getting something accepted.
>
> As I said in k-c-d, the patch is deliberately invasive. It's no accident.

The invasive nature makes the patch a high risk to integrate into a stable
branch.  It would be more appropriate for the frameworks, not so much for the
frozen kdelibs.

I think everyone understands your goal, and why you made it deliberately
invasive.  But the first priority has to go to the stability of kde apps.  And
when I last hacked the menu-merging code, I was surprised of its complexity
and how easy it is to break one of the millions of apps using this code.
So, your intention to be extra invasive means the patch is too high risk for
kdelibs.

As 2 other people also have suggested, I think you should  try to get your
patch into frameworks, not kdelibs.  And try a much simpler approach (just
some text added and maybe a new tab) for kdelibs.

Hope that clarifies my previous mail :)
--
Thomas Zander