KDE 4.8 Beta1 tarballs uploaded (try#1)

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Sun Nov 20 21:16:42 UTC 2011

On Sunday 20 November 2011 1:09:36 PM Kevin Kofler wrote:
> On Sunday 20 November 2011, Andrea Scarpino wrote:
> > Using 4.7.80 tarballs, kde-config prints:
> > $ kde4-config --version | grep KDE
> > KDE Development Platform: 4.7.3 (4.7.3)
> >
> > Are the tarball ok? Please, can you check them?
>
> This is yet another ugly side effect of the infamous "kdelibs freeze".
>
> The plan is to copy the 4.7 branch to 4.8 after the last 4.7.x release, but
> that means that as long as there are 4.7.x releases, the kdelibs version will
> necessarily be 4.7.x. :-/

True.
I warned about this in my "kdelibs 4.8? What to do about GENERIC_LIB_VERSION?" message
to k-c-d back in early October.

However: the last planned 4.7 release (4.7.4) is tagged on 1 Dec, so after that we should
be able to change over the kdelibs-4.7 branch to say "4.8" everywhere.

Funnily, 4.8 beta2 is also to be tagged on 1 Dec.
So Dirk could do things in this order in kdelibs-4.7 branch on that date:
- tag 4.7.4
- change all "4.7" to "4.8"
- tag 4.8 beta2