Request: remove libkactivites from kdelibs (in experimental/)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Nov 7 17:07:11 UTC 2011

On Monday, November 7, 2011 16:35:57 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> A Dilluns, 7 de novembre de 2011, Aaron J. Seigo vàreu escriure:
> > On Sunday, November 6, 2011 10:29:56 Allen Winter wrote:
> > > Do you mean to remove it from the kdelibs-4.7 branch?
> > > it should definitely be removed from kdelibs-master, if it hasn't been
> > > already.
> >
> > KDE/4.7 and master are currently the same thing. so i'm requesting removal
> > from both, essentially.
>
> I can see a problem with the next 4.7.x release then :-/ I mean i'm all for
> dropiing killing changing experimental libs, but not between 4.7.3 and 4.7.4

assuming 'business as usual' and once 4.8.0 is out we do not do a 4.7.5 (or
whatever release) AFTER 4.8.0 is out, then i'm just fine with waiting until
then. i would still like to do it in the "stable" branch of kdelibs rather
than open up master due to this as this should not take focus off of
frameworks.

> Maybe we should really resurrect the existence of a master 4.8?

unecessary imho, and runs the extreme danger of repeating the 3->4 debacle
with kdelibs where people just keep working on the stable release and don't
care enough for the next important release of libs.

we've already solved one set of issues by de-coupling workspace and apps from
the libs development, and i'd like to see the other issue of "ah well, it's
more useful (short term) to work on stable than the next major release" also
be addressed. we can only do this if we do not concentrate, or allow for work
to concentrate on, kdelibs stable but instead push ourselves towards
frameworks.

i understand the temptation, but i don't like what the outcome will almost
certainly be (indefinite delay of frameworks 5). let's learn from our past :)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se