KDE 4.7 Beta1 (4.6.80) tarballs uploaded (try#1)

Modestas Vainius modax at debian.org
Sun May 22 01:15:25 CEST 2011

Hello,

On sekmadienis 22 Gegužė 2011 00:29:10 Wulf C. Krueger wrote:
> > The turn of events with KDE 4.7.x is most unfortunate. I noticed an
> > explosion of source tarballs.
>
> I strongly disagree. Splitting KDE SC up more is a step in the right
> direction as it allows for easier control about what to install.

Since unrelated or slightly related applications are no longer bundled in the
same source package, each package is faster to build and links fewer system
components together. In the end, users can freely choose what to install and
maintainers what and how to package.

> > I am afraid that for Slackware, the bloat in KDE packages is not
> > acceptible from a maintenance point of view.

> Again, I disagree. Yes, it's a bit more work but it reduces the "bloat" for
> users in the end. Most people don't need everything KDE SC has to offer
> and, thus, it's well worth some effort.

The split does not bloat KDE SC since it has been bloated for a long time
already. On the contrary, the split allows to ignore applications which are
not that important for the distro (but used to be shipped in the bundle next
to important applications). Also more people can work in parallel and
responsibilities can be split according to the maintainer/user interest in the
applications themselves.

Therefore I also welcome the split very much and please continue the work in
this direction.

--
Modestas Vainius <modax at debian.org>