OpenAL and SndFile as hard dependency for Granatier

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Thu May 12 03:41:58 CEST 2011

On Thursday, May 12, 2011 01:16:36 Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
> Does this mean that KDE might move away from phonon in the future? It
> suggests at least that phonon will stop being the unified sound
> interface for KDE.

Well, Phonon has always been designed as the "good enough" interface,
recognizing that some applications might have more stringent demands on the
audio interface (e.g. professional sound editing using JACK).

In the case of games, it is important to have low-latency so that sounds mesh
well with the action causing them, so that sound effects can be canceled
quickly, multiple sound effects can play at once, etc. I'm not sure that
Phonon *can't* do these things, but I mention this to illustrate why it might
make sense that KDE games would use a different audio layer.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne