RFC: Release Management Going Forward

Nicolas Alvarez nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 03:58:02 CEST 2011

Rex Dieter wrote:

>>> Just looking at how the openSUSE buildservice is set up, they seem to
>>> use fine-grained tarballs as well, although I don't know how closely
>>> those match to the breakdown you are using.
>>
>> We're using them, and the consensus among the team so far is that they
>> allow faster builds (broader dependency tree instead of deeper) and
>> isolate failures better. These are the kde.org tarballs; is anyone using
>> their own??
>
> Fwiw, in fedora, we hacked the 4.6.80 kde.org tarballs and build-process
> to be as-close-to-monolithic as possible.

I had to do many changes to the buildsystem of every kdeedu app in 4.6 to
let them build both monolithic and split. If you need to continue with a
monolithic build, (and preferably if fedora is not the *only* distro that
needs it), I'm willing to forward-port the changes to the master branch.

However, IMHO, KDE shouldn't officially release both sets of tarballs. That
would be a mess. When someone has a build problem, we'd have to ask not only
what version number he has but also if he has monolithic or split. If you
need to build $somekdemodule monolithic, you should put the split tarball
contents back together yourself.

--
Nicolas