RFC: Release Management Going Forward

Will Stephenson wstephenson at suse.de
Tue Jun 21 13:41:28 CEST 2011

On Monday 20 Jun 2011 23:02:56 todd rme wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 10:57 PM, Alexander Neundorf <neundorf at kde.org>
wrote:
> > On Monday 20 June 2011, Manuel Tortosa wrote:
> >> El Monday, 20 of June de 2011, a les 22:39:40, Alexander Neundorf va
> >
> > escriure:
> >>
> >> Well in our case in Chakra we switched our buildsystem already for match
> >> the new separated tarballs.as in fact. our start was KDEMod, a modular
> >> KDE set of packages, so the new way is the natural way for us, even
> >> more monolithic tarballs makes hard simple things like get the kate
> >> perl bindings compiling only each tarball once.
> >
> > So you want the fine grained tarballs, if I understand correctly ?
> >
> > Alex
>
> Just looking at how the openSUSE buildservice is set up, they seem to
> use fine-grained tarballs as well, although I don't know how closely
> those match to the breakdown you are using.

We're using them, and the consensus among the team so far is that they allow
faster builds (broader dependency tree instead of deeper) and isolate failures
better. These are the kde.org tarballs; is anyone using their own??

Will
--
Will Stephenson, openSUSE Team
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendörffer,