modular kdelibs: packagers' view

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Sun Jun 5 18:10:40 CEST 2011

On Sunday, June 05, 2011 17:42:49 Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
> > As far as Exherbo is concerned, we are in favour of more modularity. Of
> > course, it should be thought through before you do it and, once decided,
> > be pushed through in one major step, not as the current git migration
> > (which you should finally and, if need be, forcefully push through, too)
> > in "baby steps".
>
> Indeed. And please ***> do not start with it <*** before finishing the git
> migration, thinking about and deciding on the splitting of the rest of KDE,
> as  otherwise everything will just end up as One Uncontrollable Mess.

Yeah, we're still inventorizing the what and how. It won't happen on short
notice, and the Git migration should be long behind us by then. Splitting it
up is actually quite a lot of work, as there are quite some interdepedencies
between individual parts of kdelibs.

I'm actually looking at it now already, to bring it up here at the Randa
sprint in order to prevent a similar mess like with the Git migration from
happening, so we're very much on the same side there. :)

sebas