git migration, next steps

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Fri Jun 3 18:12:33 CEST 2011

On 06/03/2011 10:56 AM, Ian Monroe wrote:

> It's still release-team at kde.org not release-team-ark,
> release-team-marble etc etc. Why would split tarballs for 4.7 be an
> uncoordinated shambles? So far the main reason against it seems to be
> that it would be kind of a pain in dealing with your internal
> bureaucracy of adding new SRPMs.

It's that, and a lot more.  Fact is, the current source tarballs
situation with 4.6.80 is inconsistent and (at least feels) unplanned.
Seems to me, git repo splits were done only for convenience of
developers (and rightly so), but without any forethought to the
implications that had on source distribution and packagers.  The latter
ought to be well-planned and discussed ahead-of-time, not rushed in as
an afterthought.

-- Rex